If you’re completely new to WordPress and you want to get your feet wet before attempting to install it on your own server, then you should sign up for a WordPress.com account.
The WordPress.com interface will give you a general overview of what to expect from WordPress although some features are disabled, such as custom themes and plugins, for security purposes.
To sign up for a WordPress.com account, simply follow the steps outlined below.
- Head over to WordPress.com and in the right hand column, click on the Get a WordPress Blog now » link.
- Next, you’ll need to choose a username, let WordPress know which e-mail to use for correspondence, and whether you agree to the legal terms. WordPress will give you the option of signing up for just the username or securing your own WordPress.com blog. Getting just the username is good if you want to get an Akismet API key or comment on blogs that only allow comments by logged in users. Otherwise, make sure that Gimme a blog! (Like username.wordpress.com) is selected before clicking next.
- If you opted to get a blog, then on the next page, you’ll be able to select a sub-domain on WordPress.com for your blog.
- Choose a unique name to use as the sub-domain. By default, it will populate the area with your username, but you can change it if you wish. If the name is already taken, you will receive an error notice.
- Type the title you want to use for your blog (this can be changed later if you wish).
- Select your language.
- Privacy. If you do not want your WordPress.com blog to be indexed, like if you’re using it strictly for testing purposes or for family/friends, then make sure to remove the check mark, otherwise it may end up in the search engines.
- When you’re all set, make sure to click on Sign up.
- If everything went smoothly, you’ll be presented with a confirmation screen and an activation e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address you listed during sign up. It’s important that you click on the confirmation link to fully activate your blog. If you don’t click on the link, your blog will not be live and will be up for grabs within two weeks.
- After clicking on the confirmation link in your e-mail, you’ll be greeted with your new username as password. At this point, you can click the link to see your new blog or log in to start playing around with your new blog.